I am pretty sure that spring has finally arrived. I know we have had snow in April in the past but I am feeling the warmth and hoping for the best…this time! So if you are thinking about doing some spring cleaning here are a few tips. If you are thinking about selling your home this spring then this is a must have list.
1. If you are going all out and doing a total deep cleaning then a schedule is a great idea. Look for areas that need the most cleaning and places you skip during routine cleaning.
2. Clean your vacuum. One with a HEPA filter helps catch particles you cant see, but if you don’t have one with that type of filter, clean the one you have anyway.
3. De-clutter…I know I say that so often but did you know that studies have shown that a disorganized home and clutter adds to stress. The obvious is, that if there isn’t a lot of stuff laying around it will also be easier to clean.
4. Think green when looking for cleaning supplies. The last thing I want when I clean is chemical smells and residue. I have heard that steam cleaning is great for many things and since it uses hot water vapor it is 100% natural. If you don’t have a steam cleaner, one of the best natural combinations for cleaning is white distilled vinegar, baking soda and water. These ingredients have worked for ages when it comes to cleaning.
5. Clean from the top down. Get those cobwebs up high first and work your way down to the floors.
6. Walls and windows get dusty too. A damp towel works well to wipe down walls and blinds as well. Your steam cleaner will work on windows with a squeegee to make them sparkle.
7. Kitchens and baths are places everyone probably keeps pretty clean but it’s always a good idea to go through thouroughly to be rid of any lingering germs. Spring is also a great time to check the bathroom fans to be sure they are in good working order.
8. Don’t forget about air quality! Replace furnace and HVAC filters to keep the air clean and healthy.
9. Wear protective gloves, especially if you have allergies.
10. Once you have completed your spring cleaning, consider making a few changes to your decor to finish the nice clean look. Maybe get a few new colorful pillows or an art piece you have been wanting. Replace old items like bedding and towels.
See you next time…I’m off to make a list and start cleaning!