We are in a crazy market. In some areas, homes are receiving multiple offers for well over the asking price. In other areas, it takes a little longer to find the perfect buyer. Sometimes it’s because of location or price. However sometimes it’s because of condition and/or general appearance of the home which can be a very easy fix. There are always things a seller can do to make their home more appealing to buyers than the one down the street. Part of my job is to let you know the things that are necessary, easy and low cost to accomplish, and suggest what might be worth putting money into in order to increase your bottom line.
Here are five important things sellers can do to make their homes more appealing to buyers:
1. A good first impression. The home should look great from the window of the buyer’s car; clean, manicured yard, pretty flowers, nice front door, no cobwebs in the entryway, no peeling or faded paint. It should be welcoming.
2. Pleasant smells. When we open the door to see a home, the first thing that greets us shouldn’t be a nasty smell. Make sure pet areas are cleaned up. Fresh flowers or a Scensy type candle are great ways to make your home nicely fragrant. Of course freshly baked cookies work too!
3. Cleanliness. Buyers don’t want to see a dirty or messy home. It makes them wonder what else has been neglected. We want them to remain in your home as long as possible. Kitchens and bathrooms especially should be clean and shiny and de-cluttered.
4. Clutter-free. People want to see your home, not your stuff. Pack ahead when you will be moving anyway and some basic staging will help buyers see the potential of the home. The kitchen should have a minimal amount of things on the counters, keep it simple and basic. In bathrooms, put your toothbrushes, make-up, shaving cream etc in cabinets. Clutter equals chaos and we want to create a calming environment.
5. Basic updates. Even if you don’t want to remodel your entire house, be sure the basic items work. Kitchen appliances should be somewhat modern and entirely functional. Flooring should look new even if it isn’t. If you have tile, now is a great time to be sure the grout isn’t missing or cracked. Buyers are usually very concerned with the roof. Be sure it is clean or replaced. The more updated the home, the easier and quicker it will sell.
My consultation always comes with advice on what I think you could do to get your home sold faster and for more money.